Subspecialist Accreditation in Reproductive Medicine
London Deanery, RCOG
King's College London
Guy's King's St Thomas' School of Medicine
|BA Physiological Sciences
University of Oxford
Consultant in Reproductive Medicine
I am passionate about the delivery of high quality, efficient care that is based on latest evidence and pays attention to patient experience. I believe that it is our duty as doctors to give our patients the best outcome possible which is the primary driver for my long standing commitment to applied clinical research.
|UCL / UCLH||Academic Clinical Lecturer / Subspecialist Trainee||Senior registrar in O&G
|Royal London Hospital||Specialist Trainee 6||Senior registrar in O&G
ATSM in Reproductive Medicine
|Queen's University Hospital London||Specialist Trainee 5||High risk obstetrics
|Queen's University Hospital London||Specialist Trainee 4||Labour ward management / Benign Gynaecological Surgery (Miss Tebbutt)|
|Whipps Cross University Hospital London||Specialist Trainee 3||Labour ward / Reproductive Medicine (Mr Kalshaker)|
|UCLH||Research Fellow||Early Pregnancy / Gynae Ultrasound (Mr Jurkovic)|
|King's College Hospital London||Research Fellow||Early Pregnancy / Gynae Ultrasound (Mr Jurkovic)|
|King's College Hospital London||Senior House Officer||Basic O&G skills|
|Queen Elizabeth Hospital Woolwich||Senior House Officer||Basic O&G skills|
During subspecialist training at UCLH I had the opportunity to work with and learn from international experts in the field of reproductive medicine. Beyond the subspecialist curriculum I gained experience in fertility preservation for cancer patients as well as the management of fertility aspects of complex medical disorders. Training at UCLH has helped me develop advanced surgical skills in laparoscopy and hysteroscopy performing several such operations independently during my locum appointment. As a locum consultant I worked with my colleagues to expand services within the reproductive medicine unit and helped increase surgical activity within the gynaecology department.
I have extensive experience in gynaecological and early pregnancy ultrasound with several publications and book chapters in the field. This background has enabled me to assume primary responsibility for ultrasound service provision in the Reproductive Medicine Unit where we strive to provide patients excellent diagnostic care. My scanning skill extends to my other roles as a consultant in acute gynaecology and in training of junior doctors. Apart from providing direct clinical care I have been active in training and supervision of the 4 research and clinical fellows in the unit. I am certified as educational supervisor.
Throughout my career I have focused on the academic aspect of the specialty. I have initiated, developed and followed through to publication several projects. Some of the publications have had significant impact, becoming part of national guidance.
During my lectureship I started an innovative project to identify non – invasive biomarkers of endometriosis which supported a successful PhD candidate. I am local principal investigator for PRE – EMT, a national trial for the post - operative management of endometriosis.
I have contributed to 28 peer reviewed publications including 11 first author papers and 5 book chapters. I regularly present at National and International conferences.
As a clinical lecturer and then as consultant I have regularly taught medical students in large groups and in tutorial format. I teach on two reproductive medicine MSc courses and have supervised a successful student dissertation. I am personal tutor for 4 fourth year medical students.
I participate in postgraduate teaching both at the Royal College, where I regularly teach early pregnancy and intermediate gynaecological ultrasound and in the Deanery, where I teach on the laparoscopic surgery course.
I facilitate the London Deanery hands-on laparoscopic and hysteroscopic course held at UCLH every year.
- Mavrelos D, Holland TK, O'Donovan O, Khalil M, Ploumpidis G, Jurkovic D, Khalaf Y. The impact of adenomyosis on the outcome of IVF-embryo transfer. Reprod Biomed Online. 2017 Jul 29. pii: S1472-6483(17)30347-4
- Mavrelos D, Al Chami A, Talaulikar V, Burt E, Webber L, Ploubidis G, Yasmin E: Variation in antral follicle counts at different times in the menstrual cycle: does it matter? Reproductive biomedicine online 2016; 33(2):174-179.
- Mavrelos D, Saridogan E: Treatment of endometriosis in women desiring fertility. The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India 2015; 65(1):11-16.
- Mavrelos D, Memtsa M, Helmy S, Derdelis G, Jauniaux E, Jurkovic D: β-hCG resolution times during expectant management of tubal ectopic pregnancies. BMC women's health 2015; 15(1):43.
- Mavrelos D, Cohen H, Pateman K, Hoo W, Foo X, Jurkovic D: Diagnosis of uterine vein thrombosis on transvaginal ultrasound. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2013; 42(4):480-483.
- Mavrelos D, Nicks H, Jamil A, Hoo W, Jauniaux E, Jurkovic D: Efficacy and safety of a clinical protocol for expectant management of selected women diagnosed with a tubal ectopic pregnancy. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2013; 42(1):102-107.
- Mavrelos D, Saridogan E: Current therapeutic approaches to managing dysmenorrhoea. Prescriber 2013; 24(12):31-34.
- Mavrelos D, Naftalin J, Hoo W, Ben‐Nagi J, Holland T, Jurkovic D: Preoperative assessment of submucous fibroids by three‐dimensional saline contrast sonohysterography. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2011; 38(3):350-354.
- Mavrelos D, Ben-Nagi J, Davies A, Lee C, Salim R, Jurkovic D: The value of pre-operative treatment with GnRH analogues in women with submucous fibroids: a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized trial. Human reproduction 2010; 25(9):2264-2269.
- Mavrelos D, Ben‐Nagi J, Holland T, Hoo W, Naftalin J, Jurkovic D: The natural history of fibroids. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2010; 35(2):238-242.
- Mavrelos D, Jurkovic D: Polypoid endometrium on three‐dimensional saline contrast sonohysterography. Ultrasound in obstetrics & gynecology 2007; 30(2):231-232.
- Mavrelos D, Sawyer E, Helmy S, Holland T, Ben‐Nagi J, Jurkovic D: Ultrasound diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy in the non‐communicating horn of a unicornuate uterus (cornual pregnancy). Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2007; 30(5):765-770.
- Jurkovic D, Knez J, Appiah A, Farahani L, Mavrelos D, Ross J: Surgical treatment of Cesarean scar ectopic pregnancy: efficacy and safety of ultrasound‐guided suction curettage. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2016; 47(4):511-517.
- Naftalin J, Hoo W, Nunes N, Holland T, Mavrelos D, Jurkovic D: Association between ultrasound features of adenomyosis and severity of menstrual pain. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2016; 47(6):779-783.
- Helmy S, Mavrelos D, Sawyer E, Ben-Nagi J, Koch M, Day A, Jurkovic D: Serum human chorionic gonadotropin (β-hCG) clearance curves in women with successfully expectantly managed tubal ectopic pregnancies: a retrospective cohort study. PloS one 2015; 10(7):e0130598.
- Moro F, Mavrelos D, Pateman K, Holland T, Hoo W, Jurkovic D: Prevalence of pelvic adhesions on ultrasound examination in women with a history of Cesarean section. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2015; 45(2):223-228.
- Naftalin J, Hoo W, Pateman K, Mavrelos D, Foo X, Jurkovic D: Is adenomyosis associated with menorrhagia? Human reproduction 2014:det451.
- Pateman K, Moro F, Mavrelos D, Foo X, Hoo W-L, Jurkovic D: Natural history of ovarian endometrioma in pregnancy. BMC women's health 2014; 14(1):128.
- Holland T, Hoo W, Mavrelos D, Saridogan E, Cutner A, Jurkovic D: Reproducibility of assessment of severity of pelvic endometriosis using transvaginal ultrasound. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2013; 41(2):210-215.
- Holland TK, Cutner A, Saridogan E, Mavrelos D, Pateman K, Jurkovic D: Ultrasound mapping of pelvic endometriosis: does the location and number of lesions affect the diagnostic accuracy? A multicentre diagnostic accuracy study. BMC women's health 2013; 13(1):43.
- Pateman K, Mavrelos D, Hoo WL, Holland T, Naftalin J, Jurkovic D: Visualization of ureters on standard gynecological transvaginal scan: a feasibility study. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2013; 41(6):696-701.
- Naftalin J, Hoo W, Nunes N, Mavrelos D, Nicks H, Jurkovic D: Inter‐and intraobserver variability in three‐dimensional ultrasound assessment of the endometrial–myometrial junction and factors affecting its visualization. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2012; 39(5):587-591.
- Naftalin J, Hoo W, Pateman K, Mavrelos D, Holland T, Jurkovic D: How common is adenomyosis? A prospective study of prevalence using transvaginal ultrasound in a gynaecology clinic. Human reproduction 2012:des332.
- Ben-Nagi J, Miell J, Mavrelos D, Naftalin J, Lee C, Jurkovic D: Endometrial implantation factors in women with submucous uterine fibroids. Reproductive biomedicine online 2010; 21(5):610-615.
- Pavlakis K, Messini I, Papadimitriou C, Zagouri F, Yiannou P, Mavrelos D, Panoskaltis T: Tumor dissemination after laparoscopic surgery for an unsuspected endometrial stromal tumor. European journal of gynaecological oncology 2010; 32(3):362-363.
- Hoo W, Yazbek J, Holland T, Mavrelos D, Tong E, Jurkovic D: Expectant management of ultrasonically diagnosed ovarian dermoid cysts: is it possible to predict outcome? Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2010; 36(2):235-240.
- Jurkovic D, Mavrelos D: Catch me if you scan: ultrasound diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy. Ultrasound in obstetrics & gynecology 2007; 30(1):1-7.
- Mortakis A, Mavrelos K, Mavrelos D: Laparoscopic removal of pelvic cystic tumors resembling ovarian cysts. The Journal of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists 2004; 11(3):S81.
- Konstas A-A, Mavrelos D, Korbmacher C: Conservation of pH sensitivity in the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC) with Liddle's syndrome mutation. Pflügers Archiv European Journal of Physiology 2000; 441(2):341-350.
- Mavrelos D Saridogan E (in press) Indications for Hysteroscopy in Clark J and Connor (eds) Diagnostic & Operative Hysteroscopy
- Mavrelos D Jurkovic D (in press) Non tubal ectopic pregnancy. in Kirk E (ed) Early Pregnancy Ultrasound: A Practical Guide
- Mavrelos D Jurkovic D (2017) Non – tubal ectopic pregnancy. Farquharson RG and Stepehnson MD in Early Pregnancy (eds.) Early Pregnacy: Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Mavrelos D Saridogan E (2014) Endometriosis: Surgical Approaches to stages I and II. in Ledger B and Sclaff (eds.) Chronic Pelvic Pain Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Mavrelos D Jurkovic D (2010) Ultrasound Detection of Congenital Uterine Anomalies in Farquharson RG and Stepehenson MD (eds.) Early Pregnacy: Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
|Expectant Management of Tubal Ectopic Pregnancy||RCOG Global conference, Birmingham 2016|
|Treatment of Endometriosis in Women Desiring Fertility||RCOG Global conference, Birmingham 2016|
|Impact of Adenomyosis on IVF – ET
Best free communication in category
|International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology World Congress, Rome 2016|
|Endometrial Pathology||Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health, Leeds 2016|
|Treatment of endometriosis in women desiring fertility||British Society of Gynaeocological Endoscopy, Cornwall 2016|
|Ultrasound detection of pelvic adhesions||European Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy, Budapest 2015|
|Pelvic adhesions on ultrasound
Best free communication in category
|International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology World Congress, Montreal 2015|
|Adnexal Masses in Pregnancy||British Society of Gynaecological Imaging, London 2015|
|Adnexal Masses in Pregnancy||15th Annual World Congress Fetal Medicine Foundation, Heraclion, Crete 2015|
|Expectant Management of Tubal Ectopic Pregnancy
Third Prize for Scientific Abstract
|Institute for Women’s Health Annual Meeting, London 2013|
|The value of GnRHa before transcervical resection of fibroid
Second Prize for Oral Presentation, Herbert Reiss Prize
|Royal Society of Medicine, London 2011|
As part of leadership training I initiated a quality improvement project to develop of a one – stop fertility assessment service. I cooperated with hospital management to develop, cost and initiate the service as a pilot and then as a regular clinic. Within the last 6 months we have seen over 130 couples to acclaim from patients and colleagues streamlining clinical service and improving patient experience.
During my time as consultant in the reproductive medicine unit at UCLH I have actively participated in and contributed to plans to increase the unit’s activity. Through our collective effort we have been successful in meeting our current targets.
I currently have primary responsibility for overall scheduling in the unit which includes coordinating with the unit’s management to allocate staff to clinics and ensure the most efficient use of resources in terms of personnel, space and equipment.
I manage the schedule of 4 research fellows to ensure their educational needs are met and balanced with the needs for service provision. I have participated in interviews for the appointment of new staff. Our unit enjoys high reputation amongst trainees as a friendly and educationally excellent clinic and we have good staff retention.
|Clinical education / Supervision, Brighton||2016|
|Good Clinical Practice for clinical Research||2016|
|Surgical Expert Forum in Gynaecology, Hamburg||2015|
|UCLP Leadership Development Programme UCL, London||2014 – 15|
|Essential Epidemiology in Reproductive Health, Aberdeen||2014|
My mother tongue is Greek, I am fluent in English, French and Spanish. I have basic knowledge of German.
I am director and secretary of a limited company that owns and manages the residential block I live in. I participate in drafting the budget, monitoring its execution and commissioning common parts repair work.
I am a qualified motor and sailing yacht skipper and regularly charter yachts in the summer.
I am a keen sportsman. In 2015 I completed a London to Paris cycling tour in aid of Endometriosis UK and in 2016 I completed a Geneva to Nice cycling tour in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust. I raised more than 4000 pounds in total. I am proficient in snowboarding.
I enjoy fiction and non – fiction literature.